06 April 2009

What I did for a week while I wasn't blogging.

I was doing pretty well with documenting my whereabouts and my doings for the first part of the trip, but now I've just gotten lazy. So, a lot has happened over the last two weeks and I've probably forgotten about half of it, but I'll do my best to recap.

Once we left Mettupallayam we took an overnight bus ride from hell to Pondicherry, an old French colony. It was definitely a step away from the India we had been experiencing the last few weeks. It is set right on the Ocean, with a promenade everyone steps out to at night wearing there best clothes. You can tell it is the place to see and be seen for new couples and teenagers. We stayed at an Ashrum while we were there and vowed not to do it again. With a dress code and a curfew there eyes watched your every move very closely. Vegar had gotten some food poisoning and they were convinced he was a drunk American who had no respect...now we all know the reputation Americans have! On the 24th, we headed just 10km outside of Pondicherry to this place called "Auroville." I'd write much more about it now, but I'm realizing I have about 2 weeks of catching up to do and you would probably find it just as interesting to check out the website. www.auroville.org. In a nutshell it is "an experiment in international living where people could live in peace and progressive harmony above all creeds, politics and nationalities." Enough said.

We had our palms read again by some drunk crazy man living on the streets. Nothing paired up with my other reading I had previously except for a couple of things which came from reading my numbers...like my lucky stone, lucky days, and lucky numbers. He did have us write everything down though so I'll enlighten you all to what he said about my future.
-2003-2008 not good, wasting money. (Dad you are probably disappointed right now since that basically covers my collegiate career).
-June 2009 is better change, living in another country. Maybe Canada City...who knew there was such place.
(FYI I'm taking his words right out of his mouth, my English isn't that bad)
-Father is hard working (don't know why that is relevant about my future but I'll include it).
-July 15, 2010 permanent job (mark your calenders).
-Age 27 get married, happy, 2 sons (don't hold your breath).
-April 15, 2009 All problems solved, success (I'll keep you posted).
-Age 39 "You make more money."
-Marriage a man starting with M, possibly Michael. (uh-oh!)

Alright, that's all I've got for you. Oh and yellow sapphires and ruby's are my stones in case you ever want to buy me a gift :)

So, after Pondicherry, Rachel and I headed further north to Mammallapuram, a 7th century port city; filled with rock cut cave temples and monolithic chariots. The architecture here was pretty amazing. We rented a scooter and would be driving through dirt and filth before coming face to face with these enormous sculptures settled in the greenest of parks. If I would've written this about 2 weeks ago I'm sure I would've had a lot more to say but unfortunately that isn't the case. We did, however, get even better skilled at eating with our hands! It just makes life so much easier and way less dishes.
We were offered to be in a Tamil movie that would be shot in Mysore, for Rs 1000 a day with everything paid for. But, we decided we would hold out and see if we could do that in Bollywood. Would've made an excellent story...woulda, coulda, shoulda.

This brings me to Friday, 27 March.

I splurged on a pair of custom fit leather sandals, $6. That was the excitement for the morning until CAITLIN ARRIVED!!! We had arranged for a car to pick her up at the airport in Chennai and deliver her to our doorstep. Worked like a charm. Thanks to Uncle Gary and dad, her trip and flights from the states went smoothly. That was the excitement for today, we just caught up and wandered down the not so fondly smelling beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment